Hindu society is very ritualistic. They believe that starting anything new in God’s name is always a good start and Griha (Graha) Pravesh Puja is one such ceremony.
Having a new home is a matter of joy for everyone. Many new hopes and aspirations are related to the new house. So, all you need is a good start. Griha Pravesh Puja is an auspicious ceremony celebrated by Hindu people before entering into a new home. It is a house warming ceremony celebrated seeking blessings and good luck to the entire family from almighty. People celebrate Griha Pravesh Puja to keep away all the negativity, evil eyes and to have a wonderful beginning. As a result,it makes life easy and reduces the struggle of the entire family.
The priest selects a special date as per astrology for this house warming function. Everyone has their way of celebrating this function. Some believe Lord Ganesha as their deity and some worship Lord Vishnu, etc. People invite priests on this occasion and they chant mantras to bring happiness to the house.
Before celebrating Griha Pravesh Puja the construction of the house must be completely done. So that the family can shift and reside there. The roofs, doors, windows, and other fittings must be ready. The home owners celebrate this program as per their individual choice. Many people decorate the doors and windows with flowers and some hang mango trees on the door. Everyone has their way of celebration.
TIPS TO FOLLOW ON GRIHA PRAVESH POOJA
Steps that everyone should follow in a time of Griha Pravesh
- SELECTION OF THE DAY : You must always enter your new home on an auspicious day like full moon day, Dussehra, etc besides entering on a random day. You can always go to a priest or astrologer for suggestions of a good day.
- CLEANING THE HOUSE – Before the Griha Pravesh pooja, cleaning the house is mandatory. Washing the house with saltwater purifies the place.
- RITUALS – Always place your right foot first while entering the house for the very first time. Because people believe it to be a positive start.
- DECORATION OF THE ENTRANCE DOOR – People decorate the main entrance door of the house with flowers on that day and mango leaves should be hung on the door. They believe that the decoration of the main door brings positivity.
- MAKING RANGOLIS – Try to decorate the house with rangolis on the floor as rangolis are believed to call Goddesses Lakshmi.
As we all celebrate Griha Pravesh Pooja once, we must properly perform it with the utmost care by avoiding mistakes. When you perform anything with a clean heart, the Lord will bestow you and your family with positive energy, strength, and good fortune.